On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> and F11 displays a graphical display, but F7 where X is supposed
> to be running is black.  When I tried 'startx' on another terminal,
> I got the error messages shown below.

X is still running but hangs somehow.

> How do I get things cleared out so X will start again?

killall X or kill 2935 (or whatever the process id of X is) as root.
Or reboot (with ctrl-alt-delete so everything closes down properly).

> It seems whatever happened blew my primary monitor, also.

Yes, apparently.  That really boggles me.

> I have everything on a UPS, so I don't think it was a power
> spike.

Most UPSes are not very good.  They do paper over most of the 3rd world
power problems you have in the US but not all of them.  The better
solution is of course to get a good power grid, like we have in the
civilized world ;)

> Please respond with some guidance asap. You could call toll free
> 800-552-7102.  I'm limping on an old system to send this email.

No way.  If you need it that bad you can call somebody else and pay for
customer support.  I'm happy to help you by email, though, as long as it
all stays on the xfree86 mailing list :)

> _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
>
> Fatal server error:
> Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
> already running

it says here that your old server is still running....

> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> giving up.
> xinit: unable to connect to X server
> Xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

... but you can't get to it.

> root      2935  2924  0 14:45 ?        00:00:01 /etc/X11/X -deferglyphs 16 -auth

Yep, here it is.

Hey, isn't there something wrong there?  Why has it only used a second of
CPU time?

-Peter