From: Peter Finderup Lund [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 05:57:34 +0100 (MET)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [XFree86] X locked up and now will not load

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have tried to kill all related processes and it just respawns.
> I have rebooted several times by shutdown -r now and by CTRL+ALT+DEL
> Yes, the process IDs are different, and I have tried killing every
> applicable process by the most recent process ID numbers, always
> with the same blacked screen and respawn that locks up.

Ok - I initially thought some glitch had happened that tripped the X
server and once you got rid of it things would work fine again.

Apparently that is not the case :(

Did you try a complete power off?  (sometimes a reset isn't as "complete"
as a power off is)

How long had the machine been on before things went wrong?  Could you have
done something that changed some configuration files some time ago without
restarting X or rebooting?  I have seen this happen a couple of times,
where a machine seems to be perfectly configured until one tries to
restart a service or reboot it whereupon it trips on a broken
configuration file :/

Does the monitor work on other machines?  If it didn't, that would be a
confirmation that something nasty really did happen to the power and that
your UPS didn't handle it all too well :/   In that case you might have an
acute case of bad hardware on your hand and no amount of reconfiguration
and software trickery will fix it :(

-Peter