Hey Mark,

As you suggested, I switched to using the "vesa" driver rather than the "nv" driver
(simply by changing the Device-->Driver entry).

The results: I no longer have that problem where the last line of my terminals runs
off the end of the screen. The terminals look great.

However, X won't start.

I've attached the config and log files, in case you're willing to take a look.

I didn't quite understand why I got the error I got:

(II) VESA(0): Not using mode "1440x900" (no mode of this name)

because in my config file I do seem to have a Monitor-->ModeLine defined with that
name.

Thanks for any ideas you have.  I really appreciate it.

- Christian