On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, ASIF IQBAL wrote:
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 Marc Aurele La France wrote :
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, ASIF IQBAL wrote:
i am trying to bring up XFree86-4.4.0 on solaris-8/SPARC. I have built the XFree86 source on solaris 8/SPARC, during which i have done the following.
1. Edited
#define BuildXFree86OnSparcSunOS YES
#define ThreadedX NO
in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/bindist/Solaris/host.def
2. Copy host.def as
cp xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/bindist/Solaris/host.def xc/config/cf/
3. vi config/imake/Makefile.ini
change CC = gcc
PREPROCESS_CMD = gcc -E
4. make World > World.log 2>&1
tail -f World.log
During building i got the error in xc/programs/glxinfo/ directory that __eprintf: symbol referencing error. for that change CC=g++ in Makefile of glxinfo directory.
then again i build it with just make.
got an error of png.h not found. For that install libpng and build once again.
After building, i installed the binaries by the command
make install
then while i try to configure by
XFree86 -configure
i got the following error log. can anybody give me the solution for this?...

[...]

(WW) xf86LinearVidMem: failed to open /dev/fbs/aperture (No such file or
directory)
(WW) xf86LinearVidMem: either /dev/fbs/aperture or /dev/xsvc device driver
required
(WW) xf86LinearVidMem: linear memory access disabled

Read these. Then follow that up with README.Solaris.

Thanks for your valuable information. I am able to install the aperture driver according to README under aperture/README. The driver compiled for 64 bit and there was no issue with adding the driver. I have confirmed the driver installation with modinfo | grep aperture. But after this step when I tried once again, XFree86 -configure the system hangs. The last line of then console output as follows.

(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Fri Nov 26 16:50:37 2004

Then I restarted the system, and when I checked XFree86.0.log, I could not see any messages. Am I missing still any configuration steps. Can this error be associated with "(WW) xf86LinearVidMem: linear memory access disabled". Can you explain possible reasons for this error. Did I miss any specific configuration during building.

If /dev/fbs/aperture still does not exist on your system, then either you did not do a reconfigure boot (a simple reboot won't suffice), or it failed for some reason. Check /var/log/messages. Also, if you used gcc to generate the aperture driver, ensure its version is 3.2 or later. Earlier gcc's simply won't work.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |