On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Dr E B Bettler wrote:

> Hi all !!
> i've a technical question:
> i've bought a 17'' TFT IIYAMA screen (AS4314UT) with a geforce4ti 4200 (athlon
> XP2400). After the installation of RedHat8 (with the native NVIDIA drivers),
> i've discovered a pixel in the right-upper corner that stay white all the
> time !! (even at the start screen, under win2k etc...) for a screen of 600
> euros f@#$ i changed it... to have the same problem, at the same position !!
> my question is: is it possible to damage a TFT screen with the NVIDIA native
> drivers under Linux (i don't want to install the NVIDIA proprietary drivers
> on my new screen without to be sure about the problem) ?
> the problem seems not to appears under Win2k !

All the TFTs I've seen are guaranteed to have fewer then n faultly
pxiels, where n is  asmall, but non-zero number, so I fear that
you have a fault that the manufacturers consider to be acceptable.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna