Feigning erudition, Dr E B Bettler wrote:
% Hi all !!
% i've a technical question:
% i've bought a 17'' TFT IIYAMA screen (AS4314UT) with a geforce4ti 4200 (athlon
% XP2400). After the installation of RedHat8 (with the native NVIDIA drivers),
% i've discovered a pixel in the right-upper corner that stay white all the
% time !! (even at the start screen, under win2k etc...) for a screen of 600
% euros f@#$ i changed it... to have the same problem, at the same position !!
% my question is: is it possible to damage a TFT screen with the NVIDIA native
% drivers under Linux (i don't want to install the NVIDIA proprietary drivers
% on my new screen without to be sure about the problem) ?
% the problem seems not to appears under Win2k !

I've got a pixel on my laptop that stays red all the time. It's annoying,
but it's only one pixel, so there's little to be done short of replacing
it, which I'm not willing to do considering the cost. Most LCDs will be
considered good if they have less than some small number of bad pixels.
To answer your question, I suppose it is theoretically possible to damage
a TFT screen using any arbitrary driver, but I don't think the problem you
have reported is a TFT damaged by the driver. Rather, it is a defect the
driver exposes.

Kurt
--
f u cn rd ths, itn tyg h myxbl cd.