Hi,

from time to time I have problems logging into our RDP server. The
server is running Debian Wheezy with
  * xrdp and
  * vnc4server
installed.

At the times when I can't login via RDP, I see the message
  "Xserver for display XY startup timeout"
in xrdp-sesman.log. Afterwards login doesn't work anymore, and the
xrdp-sesman.log shows
  "another Xserver is already active on display XY".

I did some debugging and came to the conclusion that the cause very
likely is NFS. The home directories are imported on the RDP server via
NFS. And sometimes (actually quite often) file access on these shared
file systems has quite a latency. Xvnc looks for some settings in
users home directory. At times the file access takes to long and thus
Xvnc start-up takes to long. The time-out in sesman hits. However,
Xvnc won't be killed, but starts up (much later) and occupies the display.

We certainly should fix the NFS issue, but that's not my
responsibility. Nevertheless, I consider it a bug that Xvnc is not
killed after time-out. If sesman decides that the service it started
turned bad, it should clean up and kill the process.

Further, I would appreciate an option with which I can set the
start-up time-out. I couldn't find anything the like in the man pages.

Kind regards,

Martin

- --
Diplom-Informatiker
Martin Christian
secunet Security Networks AG
Ammonstraße 74
01067 Dresden, Germany
E-Mail: martin.christ...@secunet.com
www.secunet.com

Sitz: Kronprinzenstraße 30, 45128 Essen, Deutschland
Amtsgericht Essen HRB 13615
Vorstand: Dr. Rainer Baumgart (Vors.), Willem Bulthuis, Thomas Pleines
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Peter Zattler