I think this largely proves my points.

Joshua

John Resig wrote:

You are not providing a choice, just something that looks like it has the same result; the user has no decision.

Yes, a user does have a decision. The user has made the decision to use, or not use, the bookmarklet. The user has made the decision to trust the knowledge and verbiage of other del.icio.us users. The user can make the decision to go back and edit the tags later. This bookmarklet isn't 'forcing' anyone to do anything. It is completely the user's decision to go through with using it, potentially even using poor metadata at the same time. I, and many other users, are willing to sacrifice, what you see as, perfect metadata in favor of speed and efficiency.

I have a question concerning these quotes of yours:

"Certainly if this was the dominant paradigm, the system would fail overall."

"Same arguments as before. There should be at least some human interaction here on the choice of tags, or it makes the system much less valuable."

"This is the whole point of tagging. People add metadata so that 1) they can find things and 2) other people can find things. You are removing the step in which people add the tag metadata, thus making the system less valuable to themselves and others."

How? How would this simple bookmarklet, that is used by a miniscule portion of the del.icio.us population, making del.icio.us worse?

If we look at the two extremes:
1) All users use the same tag as the last user(s) every time they tag a URL. 2) All users use completely different tags as the last user(s) every time they tag a URL.

If #1 was '100' and #2 was '0', I'd imagine that del.icio.us would be somewhere around 75-80. Now, even if my bookmarklet was somehow used by the entirity of the del.icio.us population - I still fail to see how a state of '100' would be completely bad. Obviously, not everyone is going to use this bookmarklet.

The most extreme instance of using the bookmarklet will probably forever be the bookmarklet URL itself:
http://del.icio.us/url/3f8993124abe4dc1cd4788e9471781ab

and even there - only a relatively small portion of the tagging population ended up using it. And looking at the results, even that isn't 'that bad'. (Stuff such as '!mobiledesktop' can be ignored, that was a bug that has been resolved).

I will re-iterate: The use of this bookmarklet is completely up to the user - nothing is being forced upon the user that cannot be viewed, evaluated, or even changed. Additionally, it has no proven detrimental side-effects, to the user his/herself or the community as a whole. There is no logical reason that use of this bookmarklet should be banned or its usage limited in any way.

John Resig
http://ejohn.org/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--