> Curious, why is this bad?
1. Backup...the entire DB file (mine is hundreds of MB) needs to be
backed up.  I backup everyday, both to external drive and offsite.
That means the large Yojimbo file needs to be backed up every day,
taking up unnecessary bandwidth and disk space.

2. Data integrity...if the database file gets corrupted, you could
lose all your data instead of only 1 item.  The Yojimbo competitor
Together (http://reinventedsoftware.com/together/) does it this way,
storing each record in a separate file.

3. Time Machine...this breaks things like time machine which offers
"roll-back" capability.

Contrast the way that Microsoft Outlook (not sure about Entourage) and
Mail.app store mail messages.  Outlook puts everything in a single
database file.  Mail.app stores each message in a separate file (but
utilizes a database file for indexing). I have 3GB of email which
means that Outlook would require backing up a 3GB file wheres for
Mail.app, I only need to backup the new message files and the small
index file.

> Hmmm, I would always be skeptical of a backup solution that runs
>  on live data.

I would never use a backup solution that didn't run on live data.
Thankfully the days of "they system is down for backup" are long gone.
Whether I use Time Machine or I use Super Duper or Chronosync or
something else, I'm certainly not about to take my machine offline or
logout to do the backup.

Cheers,
Rhet