Robert Milkowski wrote:

Hello Steve,

SB> I've noticed another possible issue - each mount consumes about 45KB of
SB> memory - not an issue with tens or hundreds of filesystems, but going
SB> back to the 10,000 user scenario this would be 450MB of memory. I know
SB> that memory is cheap, but it's still a pretty noticeable amount.

How did you measure it? (I'm not saying it doesn't take those 45kB -
just I haven't checked it myself and I wonder how you checked it).

Each filesystem holding onto memory (unnecessarily if no one is using that filesystem) is something we're thinking about changing.

SB> The ability to mount a tree of ZFS filesystems in one go would be useful.
SB> I know the reasons for not doing this on traditional filesystems - does they
SB> apply to ZFS too?

I'm not sure but IIRC there were changes to NFS v4 to allow it - but
you should check (search opensolaris newsgroups).

Right - NFSv4 allows client's to cross filesystem boundaries. Trond just recently added this support into the linux client (see http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/erickustarz/20060417 ). We're getting closer to adding this to the Solaris client (within Sun, we call it mirror mounts).

What about using the automounter?

eric