Hi guys,

On 16 Oct 2006, at 14:30, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 20:54 -0700, Matthew Ahrens wrote:
Frank Cusack wrote:
Someone said being able to add devices to a raidz vdev is on the todo list.

Don't hold your breath. This isn't being worked on, or on anyone's todo
list at this point, and implementing it would be pretty nontrivial.

on the other hand, the source code is out there, so anyone sufficiently
motivated can can start working on it now...

Funny you should say that... I've been following the OpenSolaris/ZFS story with some interest as a basis for a final year computer science project. ZFS seems unique in its integration of RAID at the fs layer (and it's open source :) !). My proposal is in its final stages now, and this is one of the items I hope to be addressing.

In particular the project centres around creating redundant arrays out of mismatched disks. The ability to to dynamically grow/shrink the array vdev is the second focus (again with disks of not necessarily the same size).

Anyway, I suspect you'll be hearing a lot more from me in the near future!

Cheers,

James