On Dec 9, 2006, at 8:59 , Jim Mauro wrote:
Anyway....I'm feeling rather naive' here, but I've seen the "NFS enforced synchronous semantics" phrase kicked around many times as the explanation for suboptimal performance for metadata-intensive operations when ZFS is the underlying file system, but I never really understood what's "unsynchronous"
about doing the same thing to a local ZFS

If I remember correctly, the difference is that NFS requires that the operation be committed to stable storage before the return to the client. This is definitely a heavier operation than the local case, where the return to the caller may happen as soon as the operation is cached. If there's a crash, the local system does not guarantee to the caller that the operation is on disk, but NFS does.

Both guarantee consistency but NFS makes stronger guarantees of completeness.

        --Ed