On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Anton B. Rang wrote:

> > If [SSD or Flash] devices become more prevalent, and/or cheaper I'm curious
> > what
> > ways ZFS could be made to bast take advantage of them?
>
> The intent log is a possibility, but this would work better with SSD than
> Flash; Flash writes can actually be slower than sequential writes to a real
> disk.

The original poster is probably referring to yesterdays announcement from
SanDisk.  Here's the nearest thing (publicly) available that provides
basic specifications:

http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/pdf/oem/SanDisk%20SSD%20UATA%205000%201.8.pdf

SanDisk bought MSystems (IIRC) - so they know how to "distribute" writes
to prevent premature failure caused by constantly writing to the same
flash memory location(s).

Summary (1.8" form factor): write: 35MB/Sec, Read: 62MB/Sec IOPS: 7,000

The usual disclaimers apply - will have to test one to see what it can
really do ... but 7,000 IOPS makes it interesting IMHO.

... snip ....

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134  Timezone: US CDT
OpenSolaris.Org Community Advisory Board (CAB) Member - Apr 2005
             OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) Member - Feb 2006