Rainer Heilke wrote:
What do you mean by UFS wasn't an option due to
number of files?

Exactly that. UFS has a 1 million file limit under Solaris. Each Oracle Financials environment well exceeds this limitation.

Really?!?  I thought Oracle would use a database for storage...

Also do you have any tunables in system?
Can you send 'zpool status' output? (raidz, mirror,
...?)

Our tunables are:

set noexec_user_stack=1
set sd:sd_max_throttle = 32
set sd:sd_io_time = 0x3c

EMC?

zpool status:

 > zpool status
  pool: d
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME                                     STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        d                                        ONLINE       0     0     0
          c5t60060E800475AA00000075AA0000100Bd0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          c5t60060E800475AA00000075AA0000100Dd0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          c5t60060E800475AA00000075AA0000100Cd0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          c5t60060E800475AA00000075AA0000100Ed0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

"When the DBA?s do clones" - you mean that by just
doing 'zfs clone
...' you get big performance problem? OR maybe just
before when you do
'zfs snapshot' first? How much free space is left in
a pool?

Nope. The DBA group clones the production instance using OEM in order to build
copies for Education, development, etc. This is strictly an Oracle function,
not a file system (ZFS) operation.

Do you have sar data when problems occured? Any
paging in a system?

Some. I'll have to have the other analyst try to pull out the times when our
testing was done, but I've been told nothing stood out. (I love playing
middle-man. NOT!)

And one advise - before any more testing I would
definitely
upgrade/reinstall system to U3 when it comes to ZFS.

Not an option. This isn't even a faint possibility. We're talking both our
test/development servers, and our production/education. That's six servers to
upgrade (remember, we have a the applications on servers distinct from the
database servers--the DBA's would never let us divurge the OS releases).

Yes this is common, so you should look for the patches which should
fix at least the fsync problem.  Check the archives here for patch
update info from George Wilson.
 -- richard