On March 23, 2007 5:38:20 PM +0800 Wee Yeh Tan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I should be able to reply to you next Tuesday -- my 6140 SATA
expansion tray is due to arrive. Meanwhile, what kind of problem do
you have with the 3511?

I'm not sure that it had anything to do with the raid controller being
present or not.  The initial configuration (5x250 original sata disks)
worked well.  Changing the disks to 750gb disks worked well.  Then I
had to get 7 more drive carriers and then some of the slots didn't
work -- disks would not spin up.  The 7 addt'l carriers had different
electronics than the original 5.  Just a hardware revision, I suppose.
Oh, and they were "dot hill" labelled instead of Sun labelled (dot hill
is the OEM for the 3510/3511).

When I was able to replace the 7 new carriers with ones that looked like
the original 5 (same electronics and Sun branding), I had better luck but
there was still one or two slots that were SOL.  Swapping hardware around,
I identified that it was definitely the slot and not a carrier or drive
problem.  But maybe a bad carrier "broke" the slot itself.  I dunno!

I was tempted to just use the array with the 10 or 11 slots that worked,
since I got it for a very good price, but I was worried that there'd be
more failures in the future, and the cost savings wasn't worth even the
potential hassle of having to deal with that.

-frank