On March 23, 2007 6:51:10 PM +0100 Thomas Nau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thanks for the hints but this would make our worst nightmares become
true. At least they could because it means that we would have to check
every application handling critical data and I think it's not the apps
responsibility.

I'd tend to disagree with that.  POSIX/SUS does not guarantee data makes
it to disk until you do an fsync() (or open the file with the right flags,
or other techniques).  If an application REQUIRES that data get to disk,
it really MUST DTRT.

Up to a certain amount like a database transaction but
not any further. There's always a time window where data might be cached
in memory but I would argue that caching several GB of data, in our case
written data, with thousands of files in unbuffered memory circumvents
all the build in reliability of ZFS.

I'm in a way still hoping that it's a iSCSI related Problem as detecting
dead hosts in a network can be a non trivial problem and it takes quite
some time for TCP to timeout and inform the upper layers. Just a
guess/hope here that FC-AL, ... do better in this case

iscsi doesn't use TCP, does it?  Anyway, the problem is really transport
independent.

-frank