I have a couple of questions:

1.)
I am working with an v240 IMAP server that is currently set up with 3 zfs pools, one (conf-pool) on the internal disks, and two (email-pool, and email1-pool) that are spread across 12 disks in an attached JBOD like so:

  pool: email-pool
 state: ONLINE
config:
        NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        email-pool   ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t1d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t9d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t2d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t10d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t3d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t11d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t4d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t12d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

  pool: email1-pool
 state: ONLINE
config:
        NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        email1-pool  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t5d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t13d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t6d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t14d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

We are planning on migrating everything over to email-pool eventually, but for now that's what I'm working with.

I currently have a script that runs every night at midnight to create full/normal snapshots of the various filesystems on the two pools so we can do backups. The script also renames and deletes snapshots such that I always have the last two week's worth of snapshots. Also, email-pool has 26 file systems (one per letter), and email1-pool has just 1.

So, normally, when the script runs, all snapshots finish in maybe a minute total. However, on Sundays, it continues to take longer and longer. On 2/25 it took 30 minutes, and this last Sunday, it took 2:11. The only thing special thing about Sunday's snapshots is that they are the first ones created since the full backup (using NetBackup) on Saturday. All other backups are incrementals.

I've tried scrubbing both pools, but that didn't help. So, any thoughts or further questions on this one?

2.)
Possibly related to the above, I've found that my zfs tools have been patched/upgraded, and now zpool status says I can/should upgrade. zpool upgrade shows the following:

    -bash-3.00$ zpool upgrade
    This system is currently running ZFS version 3.

    The following pools are out of date, and can be upgraded.  After being
    upgraded, these pools will no longer be accessible by older software
    versions.

    VER  POOL
     2   conf-pool
     2   email-pool
     2   email1-pool

I've looked a bit, and can't find anything that tells me if there will be any sort of a hit on my performance if I upgrade the pools. I'm especially cautious as this is our production email server. Will an upgrade cause load/performance problems? Will I need to take down the IMAP server while I do this? Also, the whole 'older software versions' mentioned above: what is the older software I'd have to worry about? Just the ZFS tools? If the array is staying on this server, do I even have to worry about this? I'm running a patched 2006/06 OS.

--
Joe Barbey               IT Services/Network Services
office: (715) 425-4357   Davee Library room 166C