Constantin Gonzalez wrote:
- The supported alternative would be zfs snapshot, then zfs send/receive,
  but this introduces the complexity of snapshot management which
  makes it less simple, thus less appealing to the clone-addicted admin.
IMHO, we should investigate if something like zpool clone would be useful.
It could be implemented as a script that recursively snapshots the source
pool, then zfs send/receives it to the destination pool, then copies all
properties, but the actual reason why people do mirror splitting in the
first place is because of its simplicity.

A zpool clone or a zpool send/receive command would be even simpler and less
error-prone than the tradition of splitting mirrors, plus it could be
implemented more efficiently and more reliably than a script, thus bringing
real additional value to administrators.

I agree that this is the best solution. I am working on "zfs send -r" (RFE filed but id not handy), which will provide the features you describe above.

--matt