Hi Doug,

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 06:45 -0700, Douglas Atique wrote:
> Hi, Tim. Thanks for your hints.

No problem

> Comments on each one follow (marked with "Doug:" and in blue).

html mail :-/

> Tim Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         There's a number of things you could check:
>
>         1. Is your root pool one of the supported types (mirror or
>         single-disk)
>
>         Doug:I don't know. I have created a pool in a slice of my main
>         disk. This is the layout:

I assume your pool has just one slice in it. zpool status -v <pool>
tells you the pool layout. I've a similar (but less complicated) layout
on my machine here (with nv_64, admittedly)

Did you installgrub the new zfs-capable version of grub onto c0d0s0?
(I'm assuming you did, otherwise the "bootfs" keyword in the ZFS entry
would fail)  I haven't tried booting a ZFS dataset from grub installed
on a UFS disk

>         2. There's a bug with compression at the moment - the root
>         pool,
>         and the top level pool need to have compression set to off.
>         ( 6538017 )
>         Doug: I don't set compression on deliberately. Could it be on
>         by default?

Nope, I don't think so - check with "zfs get compression <dataset>"

>         3. Check that you've got an SMI label on the pool you're
>         trying to
>         boot from ( more at
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/timf/entry/zfs_bootable_datasets_happily_rumbling )
>         Doug: I guess it is, because of the many slices. But how could
>         I check (read-only, non-destructively)

Sounds like you've already got an SMI label if you can boot a UFS-rooted
system from that disk.

>         4. Can you make sure your bios is booting from the correct
>         device
>         Doug: I'm sure. That's the only disk I have. S10 and Solaris
>         Express from UFS all boot correctly.

Okay.

>         5. (a bit more drastic) Can you run the script pointed to at
>         the top of
>         that page and setup ZFS boot that way, which could account for
>         pilot
>         error in following the manual steps.
>         Doug: Haven't tried that, but I would really like to do it by
>         hand to make sure I understand what is going on.

I agree.

>         After that, could you verify that by changing the grub menu
>         entry
>         in //boot/grub/menu.lst ( eg. change the "title" line in the
>         ZFS
>         boot entry, adding some random text) that you see those
>         changes
>         reflected in the menu that grub actually displays ?
>         Doug: This is my ZFS entry in my menu.lst:
>         root (hd0,0,f)
>         bootfs snv/b65
>         kernel$ /boot/platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unkx -B
>         $ZFS-BOOTFS
>         module$ /platform/i86pc/$ISADIR/boot_archive

And this entry shows up when you boot in grub ?

There's a typo in the above btw, "unkx", but I'm sure that was just an
error pasting into this mail (otherwise you wouldn't have even got the
banner printed)

Does your /etc/vfstab file on the snv/b65 ZFS filesystem contain a
single entry for /, which should look like:

snv/b65 - / zfs - no -

and your ufs root entry should have been changed to :

/dev/dsk/c1d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c1d0s0 /ufsroot ufs - yes -

(or removed)
Can't think of anything else that might be wrong unfortunately.

        cheers,
                        tim

--
Tim Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc, Solaris Engineering Ops
http://blogs.sun.com/timf