Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Matthew Ahrens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Joerg Schilling wrote:
>>> The best documented one is the inverted meta data tree that allows wofs to
>>> write
>>> only one new generation node for one modified file while ZFS needs to also
>>> write new
>>> nodes for all directories above the file including the root directory in
>>> the fs.
>> I believe you are thinking of indirect blocks, which are unrelated to the
>> directory tree.  In ZFS and most other filesystems, ancestor directories
>> need
>> not be modified when a file in a directory is modified.
>
> Isn't this against what I've read?
>
> If you write inode data to a different location than before, you need a way
> tell the ancestor directory where the new data is located.

No; directories point to the files (and directories) that they contain by
object (inode) number, not by block pointer (physical disk location).  When
new contents are written to a file, its object (inode) number does not change.

> From what I've read so far and what I have in mind from a personal talk with
> Jeff Bonwick in September 2004, this is done by rewriting at least parts of
> the
> ancestor directory inode.

That is incorrect; you must have misunderstood Jeff.  Could you point me to
where you've read this, so that it can be corrected or clarified?

--matt