On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Kent Watsen wrote:

... snip ...
>> (Incidentally, I rarely see these discussions touch upon what sort of UPS is
>> being used. Power fluctuations are a great source of correlated disk
>> failures.)
>>

> Glad you brought that up - I currently have an APC 2200XL
> (http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SU2200XLNET)
> - its rated for 1600 watts, but my current case selections are saying
> they have a 1500W 3+1, should I be worried?

Bear in mind that you must not exceed *either* the VA or the Wattage
ratings.  So, for example, if your UPS is 2200VA/1600W and your
combined systems consumed 2000VA and 1700W - its a no go (exceeds the
wattage rating).  This is usually not an issue with newer power
supplies with power factor correction (PFC).  If the PFC = 1.0 (ideal)
then VA rating = Wattage (rating).

Recommendation: Measure it with a Seasonic Power Angel (froogle for
seasonic ssm-1508ra) which works well, or try the kill-a-watt (have
no experience with it).

Regards,

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134  Timezone: US CDT
OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) Member - Apr 2005 to Mar 2007
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/ogb/ogb_2005-2007/