>> I know what you are saying, but I , wonder if it would be noticeable?  I
>
> Well, "noticeable" again comes back to your workflow. As you point out
> to Richard, it's (theoretically) 2x IOPS difference, which can be very
> significant for some people.
Yeah, but my point is if it would be noticeable to *me* (yes, I am a bit
self-centered)

> I would say no, not even close to pushing it. Remember, we're
> measuring performance in MBytes/s, and video throughput is measured in
> Mbit/s (and even then, I imagine that a 27 Mbit/s stream over the air
> is going to be pretty rare). So I'm figuring you're just scratching
> the surface of even a minimal array.
>
> Put it this way: can a single, modern hard drive keep up with an
> ADSL2+ (24 Mbit/s) connection?
> Throw 24 spindles at the problem, and I'd say you have headroom for a
> *lot* of streams.
Sweet!  I should probably hang-up this thread now, but there are too
many other juicy bits to respond too...

> I wasn't sure, with your workload. I know with mine, I'm seeing the
> data store as being mostly temporary. With that much data streaming in
> and out, are you planning on archiving *everything*? Cos that's "only"
> one month's worth of HD video.
Well, not to down-play the importance of my TV recordings, which is
really a laugh because I'm not really a big TV watcher, I simply don't
want to ever have to think about this again after getting it setup

> I'd consider tuning a portion of the array for high throughput, and
> another for high redundancy as an archive for whatever you don't want
> to lose. Whether that's by setting copies=2, or by having a mirrored
> zpool (smart for an archive, because you'll be less sensitive to the
> write performance that suffers there), it's up to you...
> ZFS gives us a *lot* of choices. (But then you knew that, and it's
> what brought you to the list :)
All true, but if 4(4+2) serves all my needs, I think that its simpler to
administrate as I can arbitrarily allocate space as needed without
needing to worry about what kind of space it is - all the space is "good
and fast" space...

> I also committed to having at least one hot spare, which, after
> staring at relling's graphs for days on end, seems to be the cheapest,
> easiest way of upping the MTTDL for any array. I'd recommend it.
No doubt that a hot-spare gives you a bump in MTTDL, but double-parity
trumps it big time - check out Richard's blog...

> As I understand it, 5(2+1) would scale to better IOPS performance than
> 4(4+2), and IOPS represents the performance baseline; as you ask the
> array to do more and more at once, it'll look more like random seeks.
>
> What you get from those bigger zvol groups of 4+2 is higher
> performance per zvol. That said, with my few datapoints on 4+1 RAID-Z
> groups (running on 2 controllers) suggest that that configuration runs
> into a bottleneck somewhere, and underperforms from what's expected.
Er?  Can anyone fill in the missing blank here?

> Oh, the bus will far exceed your needs, I think.
> The exercise is to specify something that handles what you need
> without breaking the bank, no?
Bank, smank - I build a system every 5+ years and I want it to kick ass
all the way until I build the next one - cheers!

> BTW, where are these HDTV streams coming from/going to? Ethernet? A
> capture card? (and which ones will work with Solaris?)
Glad you asked, for the lists sake, I'm using two HDHomeRun tuners
(http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/products/hdhomerun) - actually, I
bought 3 of them because I felt like I needed a spare :-D

> Yeah, perhaps I've been a bit too circumspect about it, but I haven't
> been all that impressed with my PCI-X bus configuration. Knowing what
> I know now, I might've spec'd something different. Of all the
> suggestions that've gone out on the list, I was most impressed with
> Tim Cook's:
>
>> Won't come cheap, but this mobo comes with 6x pci-x slots... should
>> get the job done :)
>>
>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5000P/X7DBE-X.cfm
>>

> That has 3x 133MHz PCI-X slots each connected to the Southbridge via a
> different PCIe bus, which sounds worthy of being the core of the
> demi-Thumper you propose.
Yeah, but getting back to PCIe I see these tasty SAS/SATA HBAs from LSI:
http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/lsisas3081er/index.html

(note, LSI also sells matching PCI-X HBA controllers, in case you need
to balance your mobo's architecture]

> ...But.... It all depends what you intend to spend. (This is what I
> was going to say in my next blog entry on the system:) We're talking
> about benchmarks that are really far past what you say is your most
> taxing work load. I say I'm "disappointed" with the contention on my
> bus putting limits on maximum throughputs, but really, what I have far
> outstrips my ability to get data into or out of the system.
So moving to the PCIe-based cards should fix that - no?

> So all of my "disappointment" is in theory.
Seems like this should be a classic quote, but a google-search on
"disappointment is in theory" only turns up this list - seriously, only
one result...

Best,
Kent