On Sep 25, 2007, at 19:57, Bryan Cantrill wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 04:47:48PM -0700, Vincent Fox wrote:
>> It seems like ZIL is a separate issue.
>
> It is very much the issue:  the seperate log device work was done
> exactly
> to make better use of this kind of non-volatile memory.  To use
> this, setup
> one LUN that has all of the NVRAM on the array dedicated to it, and
> then
> use that device as a separate log device.  Works like a champ...

on the 3310/3510 you can't really do this in the same way that you
can't create a zfs filesystem or zvol and disable the ARC for this ..
i mean we can dance around the issue and create a really big log
device on a 3310/3510 and use JBOD for the data, but i don't think
that's the point - the bottom line is that there's 2 competing cache
strategies that aren't very complimentary.

---
.je