On Sep 26, 2007, at 14:10, Torrey McMahon wrote:

> You probably don't have to create a LUN the size of the NVRAM
> either. As
> long as its dedicated to one LUN then it should be pretty quick. The
> 3510 cache, last I checked, doesn't do any per LUN segmentation or
> sizing. Its a simple front end for any LUN that is using cache.

yep - the policy gets set on the controller for everything served by
it .. you could put the ZIL LUN on one controller and change the
other controller from write back to write through, but then you
essentially waste a controller just for the log device and controller
failover would be a mess .. we might as well just redo the fcode for
these arrays to be a minimized optimized zfs build, but then again -
i don't know what does to our OEM relationships for the controllers
or if it's even worth it in the long run .. seems like it might be
easier to just roll our own or release a spec for the hardware
vendors to implement.

---
.je