On 11/15/07 9:05 AM, "Robert Milkowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello can,
>
> Thursday, November 15, 2007, 2:54:21 AM, you wrote:
>
> cyg> The major difference between ZFS and WAFL in this regard is that
> cyg> ZFS batch-writes-back its data to disk without first aggregating
> cyg> it in NVRAM (a subsidiary difference is that ZFS maintains a
> cyg> small-update log which WAFL's use of NVRAM makes unnecessary).
> cyg> Decoupling the implementation from NVRAM makes ZFS usable on
> cyg> arbitrary rather than specialized platforms, and that without
> cyg> doubt  constitutes a significant advantage by increasing the
> cyg> available options (in both platform and price) for those
> cyg> installations that require the kind of protection (and ease of
> cyg> management) that both WAFL and ZFS offer and that don't require
> cyg> the level of performance that WAFL provides and ZFS often may not
> cyg> (the latter hasn't gotten much air time here, and while it can be
> cyg> discussed to some degree in the abstract a better approach would
> cyg> be to have some impartial benchmarks to look at, because the
> cyg> on-disk block layouts do differ significantly and sometimes
> cyg> subtly even if the underlying approaches don't).
>
> Well, ZFS allows you to put its ZIL on a separate device which could
> be NVRAM.

Like RAMSAN SSD

http://www.superssd.com/products/ramsan-300/

It is the only FC attached, Battery-backed SSD that I know of, and we have
dreams of clusterfication.  Otherwise we would use one of those PCI-Express
based NVRAM cards that are on the horizon.

My initial results for lots of small files was very pleasing.

I dream of a JBOD with lots of disks + something like this built into 3u.
Too bad Sun's forthcoming JBODS probably wont have anything similar to
this...

-Andy