> >> already said about
> >> effects of such
> >>

> >> ...and ZFS is the only prophylactic available.
> >
> > You don't *need* a prophylactic if you're not
> having sex:  the CERN
> > study found *no* clear instances of faults that
> would occur in
> > consumer systems and that could be attributed to
> the kinds of
> > errors that ZFS can catch and more conventional
> file systems can't.
>
> Hmm, that's odd, because I've certainly had such
> faults myself. (Bad
> RAM is a very common one,

You really ought to read a post before responding to it:  the CERN study did
encounter bad RAM (and my post mentioned that) - but ZFS usually can't do a
damn thing about bad RAM, because errors tend to arise either before ZFS ever
gets the data or after it has already returned and checked it (and in both
cases, ZFS will think that everything's just fine).

 that nobody even thinks to
> check.)

Speak for yourself:  I've run memtest86+ on all our home systems, and I run it
again whenever encountering any problem that might be RAM-related.

- bill