OK, I have been reading a bit more and I think I can answer some of these
questions.
For those interested, read page 55 of the Solaris ZFS Administration Guide.

Q4: "Replace a disk or disks in an existing mirrored configuration as long as
the replacement disks are greater than or equal to the device to be replaced."

Q1: Considering you can add more mirrored virtual devices to the pool as you
go, I am thinking that adding the drives as 2 by 2-way mirrors makes more
sense. I think this would make it easier to move them as well, cause you just
add a new 2 by 2-way mirror with 2 bigger drives and migrate the old mirror to
it.

That said, I am still not 100% sure about the differences between Option 1 & 2
below. Both have two parity bits, so they effectively provide the same level of
protection (assuming RAIDZ does a good job of spreading the data around). Disk
space is the same. Not sure about performance or manageability though ...
Option 1: One four-way RAID-Z2 configuration
Option 2: Two two-way mirrors using dynamic striping