Ok I am not an expert - just done some playing about.

Option 1) I have done this - i had 4x300gb disks and one more in the post, i
could not wait to build my raidz2 so i used a 73gb which was spare - what it
gave me was a raidz2 pool of 5x73gb.
The warning is there to ask you if you really want to lose all the space.

zpool replace 73gb 300gb disk worked fine and i went to a pool with 5x300gb

Option 2) Done this too with some 18gb mirror and a 73gb mirror, seem to work
fine no performance drops.  I guess the stripe will only last for 18gb then
drop to a single disk performance

Option 3) Not sure about this one, not had chance to play with this feature

Hope this helps a bit

Also see http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide