On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Wee Yeh Tan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm just thinking out loud.  What would be the advantage of having
>  periodic snapshot taken within ZFS vs invoking it from an external
>  facility?

It's been a while since I've dealt with a NetApp, but as I remember
they have a pretty straight forward way to schedule snapshots and
their retention.

It would be nice to have a single place to define "keep the 6 most
recent hourly snaps, then a nightly for the next 7 days"

Whether the snapshots are created/removed from within the ZFS stack,
or from a cron job that reads the config doesn't matter,  but having
the configuration tied to the filesystem would be nice. You would
inherit a snapshot schedule and retention policy, just like other
filesystem properties.

-B

--
Brandon High [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The good is the enemy of the best." - Nietzsche