On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Matt Harrison
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Alternatively is there a better way to get read/write ops etc from my
> pool for monitoring applications?
>
> I would really love if monitoring zfs pools from snmp was better all
> round, but I'm not going to reel off my wish list here at this point ;)

You can access the kstats directly to get the counter values.

$ kstat -p ::vopstats_zfs:{nread,read_bytes,nwrite,write_bytes}
unix:0:vopstats_zfs:nread       418787
unix:0:vopstats_zfs:read_bytes  612076305
unix:0:vopstats_zfs:nwrite      163544
unix:0:vopstats_zfs:write_bytes 255725992

These are the counters used by fsstat.  In the case of a single pool,
I would expect (perhaps naively) to match up with zpool iostat
numbers.

On my list of things to do when I get around to it is to enable
parseable output in fsstat(1M).  See
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/on-discuss/2008-June/000127.html
for details.  Parseable is currently disabled for reasons that are
discussed in the mail folder, linked at
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/arc/caselog/2006/180/.

It is interesting to look at the numbers at this level compared to
iostat.  While iostat shows physical reads and writes only "zpool
iostat" and fsstat show reads that are satisfied by a cache and never
result in physical I/O activity.  As such, a workload that looks
write-intensive on UFS monitored via iostat may seem to have shifted
to being very read intensive.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/