Mario Goebbels wrote:
>> We already have memory scrubbers which check memory.  Actually,
>> we've had these for about 10 years, but it only works for ECC
>> memory... if you have only parity memory, then you can't fix anything
>> at the hardware level, and the best you can hope is that FMA will do
>> the right thing.
>>

> In Solaris, these however only work with supported Sun hardware, right?
> Because I don't see how I could put Solaris to cooperate with that X48
> chipset, that's managing my ECC RAM.

There are different methods of scrubbing.  Some memory controllers will
do it for you, so we defer to them.  If that is not the case, then you might
see scrubs occurring as (software) kernel thread, memscrubber.  For x86
AMD, you can see some of the logic here:
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/i86pc/os/memscrub.c
To get all of the details for each platform, you'll need to look at the
various architecture-specific sources.

Note that there are reasons why a scrub won't do much for you, particularly
if you are not using ECC memory.
 -- richard