Hey folks,

I guess this is an odd question to be asking here, but I could do with some
feedback from anybody who's actually using ZFS in anger.

I'm about to go live with ZFS in our company on a new fileserver, but I have
some real concerns about whether I can really trust ZFS to keep my data alive
if things go wrong.  This is a big step for us, we're a 100% windows company
and I'm really going out on a limb by pushing Solaris.

The problems with zpool status hanging concern me, knowing that I can't hot
plug drives is an issue, and the long resilver times bug is also a potential
problem.  I suspect I can work around the hot plug drive bug with a big warning
label on the server, but knowing the pool can hang so easily makes me worry
about how well ZFS will handle other faults.

On my drive home tonight I was wondering whether I'm going to have to swallow
my pride and order a hardware raid controller for this server, letting that
deal with the drive issues, and just using ZFS as a very basic filesystem.

What has me re-considering ZFS though is that on the other hand I know the
Thumpers have sold well for Sun, and they pretty much have to use ZFS.  So
there's a big installed base out there using it, and that base has been using
it for a few years.  I know from the Thumper manual that you have to
unconfigure drives before removal on them on those servers, which goes a long
way towards making me think that should be a relatively safe way to work.

The question is whether I can make a server I can be confident in.  I'm now
planning a very basic OpenSolaris server just using ZFS as a NFS server, is
there anybody out there who can re-assure me that such a server can work well
and handle real life drive failures?

thanks,

Ross