On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 13:25 -0700, Ross wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I guess this is an odd question to be asking here, but I could do with some
> feedback from anybody who's actually using ZFS in anger.

ZFS in anger ?   That's an interesting way of putting it :-)

> but I have some real concerns about whether I can really trust ZFS to
>  keep my data alive if things go wrong.  This is a big step for us,
> we're a 100% windows company and I'm really going out on a limb by
> pushing Solaris.

I can appreciate how this could be considered a risk, especially if it
is your idea.   But let's put this all in perspective and you'll see
why it isn't even remotely a question.

I have put all sorts of file servers into production with things like
Online Disk Suite 1.0, NFS V1 - and slept like a baby.  Now, for the
non-historians on the list, the quality of Online Disk Suite 1.0 led
directly to the creation of the volume management marketplace and
Veritas in particular (hey - that's a joke, OK ????   but only
marginally).

> The question is whether I can make a server I can be confident in.
> I'm now planning a very basic OpenSolaris server just using ZFS as a
> NFS server, is there anybody out there who can re-assure me that such
> a server can work well and handle real life drive failures?

There are two questions in there - can it be built and are you
comfortable with it.   Those are two different things.  The simple
answer to the first is yes.  Although if this is mission critical
(and things like NFS servers generally are - even if they are only
serving up iTunes music libraries - ask my daughter).

Enda's point about the Marvell driver updates for Solaris 10 should
be carefully considered.  If it's just an NFS server then the vast
majority of OpenSolaris benefits won't be applicable (newer GNOME,
better packaging, better Linux interoperability, etc).  Putting
this one Solaris 10 with Live Upgrade and a service contract
would make me sleep like a baby.

Now, for the other question - if you are looking at this like an
appliance then you might not be quite as happy.  It does take a little
care and feeding, but nearly every piece of technology more complicated
than a toaster needs a little love every once in a while.   I would much
rather put a Solaris/ZFS file server into a Windows environment than a
Windows file server into a Unix environment :-)

Bob