Miles Nordin wrote:

>     mj> For a ZFS pool, (until block pointer rewrite capability) this
>     mj> would have to be a pool-create-time parameter.
>
> naw.  You can just make ZFS do it all the time, like the other storage
> vendors do.  no parameters.

Other storage vendors have specific compatibility requirements for the disks
you are "allowed" to install in their chassis.

On the other hand, OpenSolaris is intended to work on commodity hardware.

And there is no way to change this after the pool has been created, since after
that time, the disk size can't be changed.  So whatever policy is used by
default, it is very important to get it right.

(snip)

> Most people will not even notice the feature exists except by getting
> errors less often.  AIUI this is how it works with other RAID layers,
> the cheap and expensive alike among ``hardware'' RAID, and this
> common-practice is very ZFS-ish.  except hardware RAID is proprietary
> so you cannot determine their exact policy, while in ZFS you would be
> able to RTFS and figure it out.

Sysadmins should not be required to RTFS.  Behaviors should be documented in
other places too.

> But there is still no need for parameters.  There isn't even a need to
> explain the feature to the user.

There isn't a need to explain the feature to the user?  That's one of the most
irresponsible responses I've heard lately.  A user is expecting their 500GB
disk to be 500000000 bytes, not 4999500 bytes, unless that feature is explained.

Parameters with reasonable defaults (and a reasonable way to change them) allow
users who care about the parameter and understand the tradeoffs involved in
changing from the default to make their system work better.

If I didn't want to be able to tune my system for performance, I would be
running Windows.  OpenSolaris is about transparency, not just Open Source.

--Joe