> g> we lost many zpools with multimillion$ EMC,
> Netapp and
> g> HDS arrays just simulating fc switches power
>  fails.
> g> The problem is that ZFS can't properly
>  recover itself.
> I don't like what you call ``the problem''---I think
> it assumes too
> much.  You mistake *A* fix for *THE* problem, before
> we can even agree
> for sure on, what is the problem.  The problem may be
> in the solaris
> FC initiator, in a corner case of the FC protocol
> itself, or in ZFS's
> exception handling when a ``SYNCHRONIZE CACHE''
> command returns
> failure.
>
> It's likely other filesystems are affected by ``the
> problem'' as I
> define it, just much less so.  If that's the case,
> it'd be much better
> IMHO to fix the real problem once and for all, and
> find it so that it
> stays fixed, than to make ZFS work around it by
> losing a tiny bit of
> data instead of the whole pool.  I don't think ZFS
> should feel
> entitled to brag about protection from Silent
> Corruption, if it were
> at the same time willing to silently boot without a
> slog, or silently
> rollback to an earlier ueberblock, or if it acts like
> a cheap USB
> stick when an FC switch reboots (by quietly losing
> things that were
> written long ago).

I agree but I'd like to point out that the MAIN problem with ZFS is that
because of a corruption you-ll loose ALL your data and there is no way to
recover it.
Consider an example where you have 100TB of data and a fc switch fails or other
hw problem happens during I/O on a single file.
With UFS you'll probably get corruption on that single file. With ZFS you'll
loose all your data.
I totally agree that ZFS is theoretically much much much much much better than
UFS but in real world application having a risk to loose access to an entire
pool is not acceptable.

gino