rswwal...@gmail.com said:
> Yes, but if it's on NFS you can just figure out the workload in MB/s and use
> that as a rough guideline.

I wonder if that's the case.  We have an NFS server without NVRAM cache
(X4500), and it gets huge MB/sec throughput on large-file writes over NFS.
But it's painfully slow on the "tar extract lots of small files" test,
where many, tiny, synchronous metadata operations are performed.

> I did a smiliar test with a 512MB BBU controller and saw no difference with
> or without the SSD slog, so I didn't end up using it.
>
> Does your BBU controller ignore the ZFS flushes?

I believe it does (it would be slow otherwise).  It's the Sun StorageTek
internal SAS RAID HBA.

Regards,

Marion