Hi all,
I believe it's an accurate summary of the emails on this thread
over the last 18 hours to say that

(1) disabling MSI support in xVM makes the problem go away

(2) disabling MSI support on bare metal when you only have
    disks internal to your host (no jbods), makes the problem
    go away
    (several reports of this)

(3) disabling MSI support on bare metal when you have a non-Sun
    jbod (and cables) does _not_ make the problem go away.
    (several reports of this)

(4) the problem is not seen with a Sun-branded jbod and cables
    (only one report of this)

(5) problem is seen with both mpt(7d) and itmpt(7d).

(6) mpt(7d) without MSI support is sloooooow.

For those who've been suffering this problem and who have non-Sun
jbods, could you please let me know what model of jbod and cables
(including length thereof) you have in your configuration.

For those of you who have been running xVM without MSI support,
could you please confirm whether the devices exhibiting the problem
are internal to your host, or connected via jbod. And if via jbod,
please confirm the model number and cables.

Please note that Jianfei and I are not making assumptions about the
root cause here, we're just trying to nail down specifics of what
seems to be a likely cause.

thankyou in advance,
James C. McPherson
--
Senior Kernel Software Engineer, Solaris
Sun Microsystems