> Then perhaps you should do zpool import -R / pool
> *after* you attach EBS.
> That way Solaris won't automatically try to import
> the pool and your
> scripts will do it once disks are available.

zpool import doesn't work as there was no previous export.

I'm trying to solve the case where the instance terminates unexpectedly; think
of someone just pulling the plug. There's no way to do the export operation
before it goes down, but I still need to bring it back up, attach the EBS
drives and continue as previous.

The start/attach/reboot/available cycle is interesting, however. I may be able
to init a reboot after attaching the drives, but it's not optimal - there's
always a chance the instance might not come back up after the reboot. And it
still doesn't answer *why* the drives aren't showing any data after they're
initially attached.