On 26/04/2010 09:27, Phillip Oldham wrote:
Then perhaps you should do zpool import -R / pool
*after* you attach EBS.
That way Solaris won't automatically try to import
the pool and your
scripts will do it once disks are available.
zpool import doesn't work as there was no previous export.

I'm trying to solve the case where the instance terminates unexpectedly; think
of someone just pulling the plug. There's no way to do the export operation
before it goes down, but I still need to bring it back up, attach the EBS
drives and continue as previous.

The start/attach/reboot/available cycle is interesting, however. I may be able
to init a reboot after attaching the drives, but it's not optimal - there's
always a chance the instance might not come back up after the reboot. And it
still doesn't answer *why* the drives aren't showing any data after they're
initially attached.

You don't have to do exports as I suggested to use 'zpool -R / pool' (notice -R). If you do so that a pool won't be added to zpool.cache and therefore after a reboot (unexpected or not) you will be able to import it again (and do so with -R). That way you can easily script it so import happens after your disks ara available.

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com