----- "Dave Pooser" <dave....@alfordmedia.com> skrev:

> I'm building another 24-bay rackmount storage server, and I'm
> considering
> what drives to put in the bays. My chassis is a Supermicro SC846A, so
> the
> backplane supports SAS or SATA; my controllers are LSI3081E, again
> supporting SAS or SATA.
>
> Looking at drives, Seagate offers an enterprise (Constellation) 2TB
> 7200RPM
> drive in both SAS and SATA configurations; the SAS model offers one
> quarter
> the buffer (16MB vs 64MB on the SATA model), the same rotational
> speed, and
> costs 10% more than its enterprise SATA twin. (They also offer a
> Barracuda
> XT SATA drive; it's roughly 20% less expensive than the Constellation
> drive,
> but rated at 60% the MTBF of the others and a predicted rate of
> nonrecoverable errors an order of magnitude higher.)
>
> Assuming I'm going to be using three 8-drive RAIDz2 configurations,
> and
> further assuming this server will be used for backing up home
> directories
> (lots of small writes/reads), how much benefit will I see from the
> SAS
> interface?

We haver a similar system, SuperMicro 24-bay server with 22x2TB (and two SSDs
for the root) configured as three RAIDz2 sets with seven drives each and a
spare. We chose 'desktop' drives, since they offer (more or less) the same
speed and with that redundancy, the chance for pool failure is so low, I guess
'enterprise' drives wouldn't help a lot more.

About SAS vs SATA, I'd guess you won't be able to see any change at all. The
bottleneck is the drives, not the interface to them.

roy