> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
>
> About SAS vs SATA, I'd guess you won't be able to see any change at
> all. The bottleneck is the drives, not the interface to them.

That doesn't agree with my understanding.  My understanding, for a single
disk, you're right.  No disk can come near the bus speed for either SATA or
SAS.  But SCSI vs ATA, the SCSI is supposed to have a more efficient bus
utilization when many disks are all doing thing simultaneously, such as they
might in a big old RAID, 48 disks, etc, like you have.

'Course none of that matters if you're serving it all over a 1Gb ether.  ;-)

I don't know under what circumstances SAS performance would be SATA.  Nor do
I know by how much.