On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Dave Pooser <dave....@alfordmedia.com> wrote:
> Assuming I'm going to be using three 8-drive RAIDz2 configurations, and
> further assuming this server will be used for backing up home directories
> (lots of small writes/reads), how much benefit will I see from the SAS
> interface?

SAS drives are generally intended to be used in a multi-drive / RAID
environment, and are delivered with TLER / CCTL / ERC enabled to
prevent them from falling out of arrays when they hit a read error.

SAS drives will generally have a longer warranty than desktop drives.

The SMART command set in ATA-7 and the ATA-8 spec should eliminate the
distinction, but until it's fully supported by manufacturers desktop
drives may not degrade as gracefully in an array when hitting an
error. From what I've read, both WD and Seagate desktop drives ignore
the ERC command. Samsung drives are reported to work, and I'm not sure
about Hitachi.

So far as backplanes are concerned - You can connect the backplane
with SAS and still use SATA drives.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com