On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Dr. Martin Mundschenk
<m.mundsch...@me.com> wrote:
> I'm running a OSOL box for quite a while and I think ZFS is an amazing
> filesystem. As a computer I use a Apple MacMini with USB and FireWire devices
> attached. Unfortunately the USB and sometimes the FW devices just die,
> causing the whole system to stall, forcing me to do a hard reboot.
>
> I had the worst experience with an USB-SATA bridge running an Oxford chipset,
> in a way that the four external devices stalled randomly within a day or so.
> I switched to a four slot raid box, also with USB bridge, but with better
> reliability.
>
> Well, I wonder what are the components to build a stable system without
> having an enterprise solution: eSATA, USB, FireWire, FibreChannel?

If possible to get a card to fit into a MacMini, eSATA would be a lot
better than USB or FireWire.

If there's any way to run cables from inside the case, you can "make
do" with plain SATA and longer cables.

Otherwise, you'll need to look into something other than a MacMini for
your storage box.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwc...@gmail.com