On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Burt Hailey <bhai...@triunesystems.com> wrote:
> We do hourly snapshots.   Two days ago I deleted 100GB of
> data and did not see a corresponding increase in snapshot sizes.  I’m new to
> zfs and am reading the zfs admin handbook but I wanted to post this to get
> some suggestions on what to look at.

Use

$ zfs get usedbysnapshots <file_system>,

and you will see where the space went. Listing the snapshots and
looking at the USED column does not give you this information because
it only shows what would be freed if _only_ this snapshot were
destroyed. By destroying all of them, a lot more might become
available.