----- Original Message -----
From: "jim proffit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Sent: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:02:23 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
Subject: Re: [313] Save the vinyl info

> It's so sad the state of TECHNO, the early 90's innovative years seem light
> years away. I mean who of the old guys listens to "techno" anymore? No one,
> they've all gone house or to more sophisticated genres.

Well, whilst I can see where you are coming from with this, I personally think
the state of techno is better now than it has been for a while. Sure a lot of
the guys who were putting out pure techno back then are doing other stuff and
incorporating more styles into thier music, but that for me is a positive
thing. When I listen to the new Octave One promo, Blackwater with Ann
Saunderson on vocals it has a housey influence to it for sure, but to me its
still techno. And thats just one example of some of the great stuff thats
coming out right now. Just this week I've had that, the new Duplex ep on Clone
and the new Gary Martin on Technotica all of which are superb examples of
innovative and fresh techno. Then there are labels like Delsin and artists like
Ian O'Brien whose new album is out next month, all of which draws from a lot of
influences, but is, for me, essentially techno music. I could go on and on, but
basically what I'm saying is yeah, there is a load of crap out there, but it
just makes finding the gems even more rewarding and for me there is an abudence
of gems hiding away out there right now :)All we need to do is make the effort
to seek out the truly great music and make sure that it sells by buying it,
sharing it, playing it and generally spreading the word!
Peace
Stewart