A friend of mine was once talking to a relatively well-known trance & acid
techno DJ (well-known in Reading anyway), and when he told her the sort of
music he was into, she replied with, "so you play that *funky* stuff then?",
pronouncing the word "funky" as though it was a synonym for "baby-eating" or
"Hitlerian".

It's quite strange to think that, for a lot of people, funk and soul really
ought to be purged rather than nurtured. "That hi-hat pattern's too funky. Turn
off the shuffle" etc.

Brendan