We are using gmail application passwords.  It seemed to be the only way to
get gmail to allow sending mail from an "unknown" client.  (Not Outlook,
Apple Mail, etc.)
You can set up an application password for a gmail account after you turn
on 2 factor authentication.

I thought STARTTLS was required for gmail, but I just found this page:
https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en&ref_topic=1354753

Here's a tech note link:  http://kb.4d.com/assetid=76738

HTH,

Jim