Thanks for your responses.

The events associated with the various variables and forms are minimized and
the methods associated with the variables and forms are wrapped with the
corresponding ‘if (form event = …) conditionals.

What I seem to be seeing is that the subform is being redrawn much more
frequently in v15.3 than v13.5.  With each redraw I’m seeing another on display
detail event, as I would expect.

I’m comparing identical forms, with identical settings in v13.5 and v15.3.

The form displays payroll transactions for employees.  There are some display
variables that are used to trigger searches the appropriate table and the
results are displayed in the subform.  The search does not occur until the “on
data change” event fires.

The main form has only the events  on load, on clicked, on activate and on data
change.
The subform has no associated events
The list form associated with the subform has only the on display detail event.
The display variables have only the on data change event.

I added another display variable to the main form which to display the number
of times on display detail event occurs.  The variable is a process variable.
In the list form method, inside the "on display detail conditional" I added
code that increments the count variable by one.

The subform displays 7 records.

Here’s what I see with v13.5

Action              Cumulative count
Open form               0       opens within a second
Click into employee name variable       0
keystroke 1             0
keystroke 2             0
keystroke 3             0
keystroke 4             0
keystroke 5             0
tab out of field                7       this initiates a query and updates the
display
click into different search variable    7

By comparison with v15.3
Open form               0       opens in about 8 seconds  — much slower
Click into employee name variable       14
keystroke 1             21
keystroke 2             28
keystroke 3             35
keystroke 4             42
keystroke 5             49
tab out of field                56      this initiates a query and updates the
display
click into different search variable    70

Can you think of any way to reduce the number of redraws?  Any other ideas?

Allen