I agree that PDF Creator is terrible on the server. I tried it briefly and
it was a headache. In addition to the points Lutz made doing any printing
Server side restricts you to a single print job at a time. That can become
a problem - you have to write your own print job que. Plus PDFC can throw
errors on the server and block operations with a dialog.

If you must use PDFC only allow it to run on a client machine so the user
can deal with issues. Of course then you have the issues of whatever OS the
user has.

When I finally switched to Rob Laveaux's QPDF plug in and build PDFs
strictly with code those sorts of problems stopped. It's more work than
making a 4D form but you can test it, debug it and control it in code and
aren't limited by the print engine in making multiple documents at the same
time.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 1:34 AM Epperlein, Lutz (agendo) via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> I second the statement below. We did some testing with PDF Creator in the
> Past and were not convinced. Especially we wanted to use it on the server
> side,
> creating PDFs for providing via the webserver.
> First, it was not stable.
> Second, we had to explain which software we want to install on the
> customer's server and we are observed during the install process. And PDF
> creator
> showed a bit strange behavior, it didn't look like a professional software
> at least
> with the version 4D requires (1.7).
> And last but not least, for any reason we leave an installation archive of
> PDF creator on one of our developing servers and got recently an
> information
> From our inhouse IT department because a virus scanner detected it as
> malware:
>         Fileshare : \...\PDFCreator-1_7_3_setup.exe
>         Malware Severity: Severe
>         Category: Potentially Unwanted Software
>
> Hmm ...
>
> Regards
> Lutz
>
> > There is a risk using a particular version of utility software that is
> not
> > being actively developed. There are a years of bug fixes and
> compatibility
> fixes that are
> > not there and there is always the risk that a future Windows or 4D update
> could break the
> > solution.
> >
> > With the strong focus on software security, audits of installed software
> > highlight software that is out of date or no longer receiving updates.
> PDF
> Creator
> > v1.7 would fall in to the category.

Kirk Brooks