I just ran some tests using a web mail program and confirm the issue you
reported. I have been using 4D 16 in production since late 2017 and no one has
complained, I suppose since most use Apple Mail where everything seems OK.

As a work-around, I turned off that default and ensured the body uses CRLF.
Seems to work, but not tested extensively.

C_TEXT($0;$1)

C_LONGINT($err)

$err:=SMTP_SetPrefs (0;-1;-1)
$0:=Replace string($1;CRLF;CR;*)